OFCOM Auto-Switch is Here!
From 1 July 2019, under new OFCOM regulation, all mobile providers will offer Auto-Switch which is a new and simplified way for consumer and business customers to switch 1 to 24 MPNs (Mobile Phone Numbers) between providers.
Auto-Switch allows customers to control the contact they have with their existing mobile provider when they are looking to move away from them, including avoiding having a phone conversation if they do not want one. Additionally customers will only need to contact their new provider once – to port their existing number or cancel their old service without keeping their number. After doing this, the port or cancellation occurs automatically and the new service starts.
So what does this mean?
- Firstly this regulation covers all business types regardless of size, who want to move 1 to 24 MPNs to another mobile provider. Anything over 25 MPNs is not covered under the new regulation and the bulk process remain unchanged.
- From 1 July 2019 customers will be able to request a switching code (PAC or STAC) for single MPN accounts, as well as by phone.
- Today we use PAC codes for porting which will remain unchanged, however OFCOM have introduced a new code called a STAC (Service Termination Authorisation Code), which customers can use if they want to move to another mobile provider but not take their mobile number with them.
- 30 day notice periods for PAC and STAC switching are banned from 1 July 2019, so customers will no longer have to pay for their old and new service at the same time.
- Mobile providers need to provide clear switching information to customers, which includes early termination fees, any major financial implications of switching on the customer agreements and other factual information that they consider customers should know about when they leave.
From 1 July 2019 these are the new options for business customers:
- New customers will be able to provide a PAC or STAC at point of sale.
- When your're ready to switch, the customer simply gives the code.
- Once you’ve got your new service, the old service will be switched off within one working day.